Pumpkin soup is often a staple meal in households during autumn. We thought we would bring back an old favorite by providing this “vegefied” version of Rachel Ray’s Pumpkin Soup. This altered dish is dairy free and cholesterol free, making it a great alternative for families who are looking for a healthier approach to the comfort foods of fall!
Starting a tradition
The holidays are an amazing time to meet up with loved ones and make memories over shared meals. Each member of the family becomes associated with a certain dish, and if you’re still looking for a dish to call your own, this could be it! This soup will definitely delight your family and friends year after year.
How to use every part of a pumpkin
· Carve the outside to make a decorative Jack-o-lantern
· Use the insides to make a pumpkin puree that can be used in numerous dishes
· Make your very own pumpkin spice latte
· Roast the pumpkin seeds for a tasty snack, or feed them to your neighborhood birds
· Make a pumpkin body scrub
Creamy Plant-based Pumpkin Soup with Chili Cran Relish
· 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional, use water or broth for oil-free)
· 2 Tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil (optional, use water or broth for oil-free)
· 1 fresh bay leaf
· 2 ribs celery with greens, finely chopped
· 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
· Salt and pepper
· 3 Tbsps all-purpose flour
· 2 tsp poultry seasoning or 2 tsp ground thyme
· 2 tsp hot sauce, or to taste
· 6 cups vegetable stock
· 1 can cooked pumpkin puree (28 ounces)
· 2 cups coconut milk (use light coconut milk for less fat)
· 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
For the Relish
· 1 crisp, green apple, such as McIntosh or Granny Smith, finely chopped
· 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
· 2 Tbsp lemon juice
· 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries, chopped
· 1 tsp chili powder
· 2 tsp agave or coconut nectar
· 1/2 tsp ground pumpkin pie spice
1. Heat olive oil and butter over medium high heat in a large stock pot or Dutch Oven; add celery, bay leaf and onion and cook until translucent - about 5 to 7 minutes, season with salt and pepper.
2. Stir in flour, poultry seasoning and hot sauce, cook for 1 minute until well-incorporated.
3. Pour broth into pot and bring to a boil; reduce heat and add pumpkin puree in large spoonfuls; stir until smooth; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Stir in coconut milk and nutmeg; cook an additional five minutes, or until fully heated through.
5. Puree until smooth with an immersion blender. Ladle into bowls for serving.
6. Assemble the relish ingredients in a small bowl; top each serving with a spoonful of relish for garnish
Easy Vegan Replacements in the Recipe
· Butter > Vegan Butter or Coconut Oil
· Chicken Stock > Vegetable Stock
· Heavy Cream > Coconut Milk
· Honey > Agave
Blog post written by Grace Chesko!