We’ve all been gifted, or gifted, those large tin buckets of tri-flavored popcorn for Christmas. While this is a long-established holiday treat, we think it can be amped up! This recipe is salty and sweet with a sprinkle of nutrient-packed chia seeds. It is peppermint to be shared with loved ones this season!
· 1 bag natural popcorn, such as Newman’s Own
· 1 cup chopped vegan chocolate of choice
· 1 scoop chia (optional)
· Coarse sea salt, to taste
· 1 candy cane, crushed
1. Cook popcorn to package directions and remove any un-popped kernels; sprinkle chia over warm popcorn.
2. Heat chocolate gently over a pot of simmering water or double boiler, stirring continuously; pour evenly over popcorn; sprinkle sea salt and candy cane overheated chocolate.
3. Place in refrigerator to cool; break into pieces and place in a bowl or in decorative canisters for gifts.
What is Chia?
· Chia seeds are considered to be a superfood! Chia seeds are naturally gluten-free, and are packed with fiber, Omega 3’s and protein.
Perks of eating chia seeds
· Great brain food for kids
· Fights joint pain and inflammation
· Keeps us hydrated
· Stabilizes blood sugar
Written by Grace Chesko