Culinary Educator Description
Compensation: $35 per class
Employment type: Part-time, Contract
Time: Two to four, one-hour classes per week from 3-4 pm (plus additional time for purchase of food, set-up, clean-up and sanitize)
Who: Children grades 1st through 5th. Additional opportunities may become available for adults and teens.
Current available locations: North St Johns County near Julington Creek Plantation and north St Augustine in the World Golf Village area
Do you enjoy teaching, cooking, and healthy eating? Are you looking for an exciting, rewarding and fun opportunity with great team members and paid training? If so, then we'd love to meet you for an interview!
• The VegeCooking Club program offers day time classes, evening classes, and an after-school cooking enrichment programs to students in many St Johns County schools and other venues. We’re looking for outgoing, fun and extraordinary people to teach in our part-time programs in the St Johns County area.
• Applicants must be punctual, reliable, organized, friendly, enthusiastic, and most importantly love working with children in an educational setting and feel passionate about enriching their lives.
• All equipment, curriculum and recipes are provided.
• Contractors will be paid $35.00 per class with $10.00 allowance per class for food supplies. Rate increase opportunity available based on performance and tenure.
• Classes typically take place Mon-Thursday from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm (on early-release Wednesdays from 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm). No Fridays! No holidays!
• Included in class duties are preparation for class (review of curriculum and recipe), purchase of fresh foods, set-up, and administration of one-hour class, cleanup and sanitation of cooking equipment.
Preparation for first class, if hired (what to expect):
• Preparation prior to Culinary Educator’s first class will cover a summary of our VegeCooking curriculum, review of classroom management, sanitation, child safety, and school procedures.
• Preparation will take place both online and either in a simulated environment or in the classroom via shadowing over a two to three class period.
• Classroom preparation time will be paid a $15 per-class rate.
• Applicants must have reliable transportation to the class location and again, be RELIABLE and punctual.
• Candidates must pass a food safe handler certification (paid for by VegeCooking), and must view training on classroom management.
• Fingerprinting, background and reference check is required.
• NO use of single-use plastics (plastic bags, plastic wrap etc.)
• Compost the veggie scraps (don't worry, if you don't know how, we'll teach you!)
• Lift up to 25 pounds (cooking class equipment)
Best-qualified applicants will:
• Be passionate about the idea of "LEARN to cook LOVE your veggies"
• Have experience with teaching and classroom management
• Have knowledge of or follow a plant-based lifestyle
• Have experience working with elementary age children
• Have an outgoing personality
• Have a great work ethic
• Be totally into living sustainably or into learning about it (we use real silverware in our classes!)
Email resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.